Battlefield: Hardline, sports games highlight EA's E3 2014 press conference
* Early in-game footage from Star Wars: Battlefront was shown. Developers explained how they went to actual locations where the movies were shot. Unfortunately, more information is coming Spring 2015, and that doesn't sound like a release date.
* A musician performed on stage while Dragon Age: Inquisition was shown off. Large, open areas and combat were highlighted. It looks nice.
* Very, very early conceptual prototypes were shown for a new Mass Effect and new IP from BioWare. Sadly, it looks like we won't be seeing these for a while.
* The Sims 4 (people still play these games?) has emotional states to keep track off. Doesn't look too much different from past games, but there was an Obama look-alike that I'm sure angered Republicans.
* Sports titles include EA Sports UFC with Bruce Lee, NHL 15, Madden 15 and Fifa 15. Once you've seen one trailer, you've seen them all. It looks like EA ran out of ideas for the next PGA Tour golf game. There are "extreme fantasy courses" with battleships and explosions to golf through. I guess that's cool?
* Criterion will have a new game featuring cars, wingsuits, ATVs, boats, planes and more. Not much else to say here.
* Dawngate will be another MOBA I don't plan on playing. But if done right, they can rake in the dough.
* Some very early footage of Mirror's Edge 2 was shown. This should be another fun and exciting game.
* Battlefield: Hardline features cops versus crooks with lots of explosions and mayhem. There's helicopters, miniguns, a construction crane falling onto buildings -- all while trying to hold onto some sort of loot. Those who own a copy of Battlefield 4 on PC and PS4 can sign up for beta starting today. The game is scheduled for release Oct. 21.
Overall, a pretty typical EA conference.
Get even tinier thoughts at www.twitter.com/JeffHoard921